As at Tuesday, 16th January 2018, YouTube announced that the standards for getting ads for videos on its platform have been reviewed and made to be more strict. This came as a result of some unsafe contents posted on the platform in 2017.
YouTube vice president of display, video and analytics Paul Muret said in a blog post that “There’s no denying 2017 was a difficult year, with several issues affecting our community and our advertising partners,”
He added that with the latest developments, any channel on the platform that will receive ads must have at least in the last one year have at least 1,000 subscribers and 4,000 hours of watch time. This is different from the previous opportunity any channel had to have ads with at least 10,000 views on the channel.
Mr Muret added that “The challenges we faced in 2017 have helped us make tough but necessary changes in 2018.”
“We want to take channel size, audience engagement, and creator behaviour into consideration to determine eligibility for ads,” Muret said.
YouTube has decided to watch out for contents, abuse flags and other things on videos to make sure everyone is complying with the Google-owned video-sharing platforms policies, according to Mr Muret’s post.
These changes will affect a significant number of channels that have been eligible to run ads on the platform.
A total number of about 150,000 videos were pulled off the platform last year after comments were posted about them as videos not appropriate for children. To this end, YouTube has greatly increased the number of workers who will be on the look-out to search for such videos that violate the policies.
“We are passionate about protecting our users, advertisers and creators and making sure YouTube is not a place that can be co-opted by bad actors,” Muret said.
“While we took several steps last year to protect advertisers from inappropriate content, we know we need to do more to ensure that their ads run alongside content that reflects their values.”