University of Johannesburg Artists in Residence
The Artists in Residence Programme at the University of Johannesburg (UJ) is now accepting applications for residencies beginning in January 2023.
The UJ Artists in Residence Programme offers residencies in Visual and Fine Arts, Music, Theatre, Performance and Dance, Design, Film and Television, and Literary Arts in order to foster arts practice as research.
The programme is accepting applications from young, developing, and established artists worldwide, especially with a connection to Africa.
Artists are eligible to apply for physical or remote residencies at the institution, and successful artists may work partially or entirely remotely depending on the nature of the proposed residency.
University of Johannesburg (UJ) Artists in Residence Programme Eligibility
Table of Contents
Only proposals for projects that fall within the following disciplines will be eligible:
• The programme is open for applications from new, emerging and established artists from across the globe, but preferably with a connection to Africa.
• Artists are eligible to apply for physical and/ or remote residencies at the institution. Thus, depending on the nature of the proposed residency, successful artists may work partly or completely remotely.
• Applicants may not be affiliated with another South
African tertiary institution.
• Applications must be accompanied by a letter of endorsement by a UJ host department or division.
• Only proposals for projects that fall within the following disciplines will be eligible:
• Visual Arts and Fine Arts
• Performance and Dance
• Film and Television
• Literary Arts
• Artists in Residence positions are awarded on a competitive basis, taking the applicant’s career track record, level of productivity, academic writing experience or potential and residency proposal into account.
University of Johannesburg (UJ) Artists in Residence Programme Benefits
Successful applicants will be offered a 12-month residency formalized through temporary employment at the institution.
A monthly stipend of R10,000 (subject to statutory deductions) will be made available to Artists in Residence.
Follow Scholarship Updates For ScholarshipJobs and Travel With Sponsorship and Job Opportunities around the world including Remote Jobs @MichaelEkunda16— Scholarships , Travel & Jobs Opportunities For All (@MichaelEkunda16) June 15, 2022
The program is designed as a stimulus program, and no additional project or seed funding will be made available through the program.
The Artists in Residence Program supports artists by providing monthly stipends over a 12-month period, but it does not give project or seed financing.
Applicants must form a working connection with a department or division at the University of Johannesburg that will support their application and host their residency if it is approved.
How to Apply for University of Johannesburg (UJ) Artists in Residence Programme
- Step 1: Upon receipt of the letter of endorsement sent to [email protected], the applicant will receive a link to complete the online Jotform application.Step 2: Applicants are required to acquire a letter of endorsement from a UJ department or division that will be the custodian of the project. Letters of endorsement should reflect on the role the department or division will play in the collaboration as well as the kind of enabling environment it is able to provide. Letters should include any administrative, physical and/or financial resources that the department or division will contribute to the collaborative Artists in Residence project(s).
If additional project funding is required, a resourcing/fundraising strategy should be included in the project proposal.
The closing date for application is 31 July. For inquiries, please send an email to [email protected]
Receive Scholarship Updates through our Social Media Channels: