So Mark Zuckerberg bagged a honorary degree from the very great Harvard University which he dropped out from earlier (some years back). And some days back, he gave a speech to the graduating class of 2017, quite a feat I must say.
What did we take home from his speech? Many things. But here, I’d be sharing with you at least ten powerful quotes from the 5th richest man in the whole wide world. All you have to do is stay with me.
1. “I couldn’t figure out why no one would talk to me — except one guy, KX Jin,… and now he runs a big part of Facebook. And that, Class of 2017, is why you should be nice to people.”
2. “I’m here to tell you finding your purpose isn’t enough. The challenge for our generation is creating a world where everyone has a sense of purpose.”
3. “To keep our society moving forward, we have a generational challenge — to not only create new jobs, but create a renewed sense of purpose.”
4. “But it’s not enough to have purpose yourself. You have to create a sense of purpose for others.”
5. “…I understand that is how things work with no sense of higher purpose. It’s up to us to create it, so we can all keep moving forward together.”
6. “Our generation will have to deal with tens of millions of jobs replaced by automation like self-driving cars and trucks. But we have the potential to do so much more together.”
7. “let me tell you a secret: no one does when they begin. Ideas don’t come out fully formed. They only become clear as you work on them. You just have to get started.”
8. “It’s good to be idealistic. But be prepared to be misunderstood. Anyone working on a big vision will get called crazy, even if you end up right.”
9. “Anyone working on a complex problem will get blamed for not fully understanding the challenge, even though it’s impossible to know everything upfront. Anyone taking initiative will get criticized for moving too fast, because there’s always someone who wants to slow you down.”
10. “In our society, we often don’t do big things because we’re so afraid of making mistakes that we ignore all the things wrong today if we do nothing. The reality is, anything we do will have issues in the future. But that can’t keep us from starting.”
11. “Today we spend 50 times more treating people who are sick than we spend finding cures so people don’t get sick in the first place. That makes no sense.”
12. “THE GREATEST SUCCESSES COME FROM HAVING THE FREEDOM TO FAIL.”
13. “When you don’t have the freedom to take your idea and turn it into a historic enterprise, we all lose.”
14. “Look, I know a lot of entrepreneurs, and I don’t know a single person who gave up on starting a business because they might not make enough money.”
15. “Purpose doesn’t only come from work. The third way we can create a sense of purpose for everyone is by building community.”
16. “Progress now requires coming together not just as cities or nations, but also as a global community.”
17. “Change starts local. Even global changes start small — with people like us.”
18. “In our generation, the struggle of whether we connect more, whether we achieve our biggest opportunities, comes down to this — your ability to build communities and create a world where every single person has a sense of purpose.”
And Mark concluded his speech with a prayer, “May the source of strength, who blessed the ones before us, help us *find the courage* to make our lives a blessing.”
Are you a startup founder, or you want to make an impact, or even find a purpose, be sure to pick your part from all these quotes. Mark has spoken well. BTW, let us know which of the quotes you enjoy the most using the comment box. We’d be waiting.