Infinix Mobility, makers of the Infinix brand of Android smartphones, launched the Infinix Hot 3 four days ago. The latest smartphone becomes the third in the Hot series. The Infinix Hot 3, also known as Infinix Hot X554, is therefore the successor of the Infinix Hot 2, which was the first Android One smartphone from Infinix.
Infinix smartphones have a good reputation in Nigeria. The first Infinix Hot was a best seller due to the combination of good price and awesome specs for a budget smartphone. The launch of the Hot 3 is coming less than a year after the Hot 2 was released. That should mean something, but at this point l am struggling to see the significance of that.
As the successor to the Hot 2, Infinix Hot 3 must therefore offer something better or at least an upgrade on some key features. Infinix did not disappoint on that score. The most visible difference in the Hot 3 is the size of the display. Unlike the Hot 2 (5″), Infinix Hot 3 is a 5.5 inch display phablet. Even though the resolution still remains 720×1280 pixels, you definitely get a better viewing experience on the IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen display.
Another marked improvement from the Hot 2 is the battery capacity. The sleek, light, plastic-encased Hot 3 spots a 3000mAh battery capable of sustaining 9 hours of non-stop browsing on 3G; about 20 hours of talk time and over 33 hours of music. And not to waste all that power, reverse charging is also part of the the Infinix Hot 3. Meaning you can use the phone as a power bank to charge other phones.
Sadly though, Infinix Hot 3 is powered by the Android 5.1,Lollipop, OS, which most people like me would consider outdated. The Android 6, Marshmallow, has being around for a while now. Hopefully, the OS can be upgraded. Still staying with the software, Hot 3 spots the MediaTek MTK6580 chipset. However, there would be two variants of the phone based on the installed RAM. The two models would come in 1and 2GB RAM both with internal storage of 16GB expandable by a further 32GB with MicroSD.
For the camera, the raw specs have not being improved on. So just like the Hot 2, the Infinix Hot 3 is fitted with 8 and 2MP rear and front camera respectively. Hopefully, additional features added to the camera would make photos and videos better in the Hot 3.
The phone is already available in Nigeria in online stores like Jumia and Konga, and some offline retail outlets. In spite of the forex crunch, Infinix Mobility was able to keep the price modest. The cost of the basic model on the two online stores are between N26,000 and N26,500. It could be a bit more than that in offline retail stores depending on what part of the country you are buying it.
Full Specifications Of Infinix Hot 3
- Device type: Smartphone
- Model: Infinix Hot 3 X554
- Announced: March 2016
- Status: Available March 2016
- Resolution: 1280 x 720 pixels
- Display Type: IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen
- Size: 5.5-inch 720p display,
- Design: Plastic
- Colours: White, Gold, Gray
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Proximity and Ambient light
- Touch Screen: Multi touch
- GSM: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 3G: HSDPA 900 /1900/ 2100
- 4G: No
- SIM Type: Micro SIM (Dual SIM, Dual standby)
- OS: Android 5.1 Lollipop with XUI
- User interface: XUI
- Java support: No
- Facebook: Yes
- Youtube: Yes
- Processor Type: 64-bit Quad-core 1.3 GHz Cortex-A53
- Processor Name: MediaTek MT6580
- Graphics Processor: Mali400-MP2
- RAM: 1 GB
- Internal Storage: 16 GB
- External Storage: microSD, up to 32 GB
- Rear: 8 MP, 3840 x 2160 pixels, autofocus, LED flash
- Video recording: Yes
- Front-facing: 2 MP with soft flash
- Music Support: AAC, AMR, MP2, MP3, M4A, MKA,
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Video Support: MP4/MPEG4/H.263/H.264 player
- FM Radio: Yes
- Bluetooth: v4.1
- WiFi: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- GPS: Yes
- USB: microUSB v2.0, OTG
- Battery: 3,000 mAh
photo credits: jumia.com