West Africa Mobile Awards (WAMAS) has announced the finalists for this year’s edition of its annual awards.
WAMAS is a West African Technology Awards that recognizes and celebrates mobile and tech companies that fared very well in the region.
Last year, the maiden edition of the awards was held in Lagos, Nigeria and was witnessed by the best brains in the mobile ecosystem of West Africa which included global brands, startups and innovative individuals.
This year’s edition will be no different location-wise as it will also be held in Lagos at Rooftop. The awards ceremony is to hold on the 18th of May 2017.
The applications for the 2017 awards were opened earlier this year. There were over 150 applications submitted from across 14 countries in the ten different categories available.
Without much ado, the startups selected and their various categories are shown below:
- Commerce & Retail: BrowseDotCom, BuyOverChat Technologies, Dress Me Outlet, Jiji.ng, OLX
- Best App: JORG Technologies, MyAds Global, PayWithCapture, ScholarX, Sliide Airtime
- Mobile Innovation: Eskimi, MallforAfrica, Optiweb Communications, Sliide Airtime, VAS2Nets Technologies
- Mobile Marketing Campaign: Bloom Interactive, Cloomify, Tecno Mobile, The Guardian, Unilever
- Social Impact: Dimagi, Human Network International, Mahindra Comviva, MOBicure, MTN Nigeria
- Social, News & Entertainment: BattaBox, Bloom Interactive, Media Navigation, Optiweb Communications, The Guardian
- Outstanding Industry Achievement: Faith Adesemowo, Omobola Johnson, Rebecca Enonchong, Ugo Okoye, Vytautas Paukstys
- Fintech: Bincom ICT Solution, Flutterwave, GoodWealth, Mahindra Comviva, Piggybank Nigeria
- Mobile Education: Alassaut.com, iConcepts, Opportunity Space, Optiweb Communications, Solutech.edu.sn
- Young Gun of the Year Award: Andrew Airelobhegbe (ogaVenue), Corbyn Munnik (Sliide Airtime), Iyin Aboyeji (Flutterwave), Lum-Neh Angela (Opportunity Space), Odionye Confidence (Beat Traffik)
After the submission of the applications, the above list was shortlisted by professional judges. The list consists of not only startups and established enterprises but also innovative individuals.
The winners from the various categories will receive numerous benefits to boost their business status –established businesses- and for the startups to grow their business.
The award ceremony will feature over a hundred mobile industry executives, media from across the globe, sponsors and investors inclusive.